![]() |
| The picture above is of my roommate (Megan) and I. The skirts we are wearing we got made at Kimironko market! |
We have been in Kigali for exactly three weeks. It is weird how it seems so fast but at the same time it feels like I have been here so long. Riding the bus around town is no longer nerve racking, communicating with non-English speakers is still difficult but again it has become easier even with the language barrier. I find myself still being amazed at the beauty that Kigali has. I love the sunshine here (is definitely helping with my tan!) and yet I also love the pouring rain. I have become very fond of the people and culture that I have witnessed while here.
Mornings usually consist of a fresh fruit breakfast and relaxing on the front porch. We leave at 8:25 and take a bus to Kimironko market. This market is amazing! By far my favorite place to shop. It has everything from fresh fruits to car products. I am currently having a skirt made and I am sure I will have several more made... After the bus drops me off at the market I walk about a mile to class. There is a shorter route but I like this one because I enjoy the sun and exercise of walking. We then have two classes (Social Development and Peace Building). We have lunch served at the classroom after the first class and then we have the second class. After we are done with classes we are free for the rest of the day. A nice thing about this program is that there is an emphasis on culture interaction. We are not given much homework in hopes that we will spend that time going about Kigali and learning first hand.
This is our last free weekend for a while… The following weekends we will be going to Kibuye, then conducting research, and then off to Uganda (for some white water rafting!) and then we will start a four-week practicum. I hope to be teaching in a classroom during this period. After practicum I then finish off the semester with African Literature and Religion. Then next thing I know I will be back in the States!
Looking at the calendar it is all going to happen so fast-- which is bittersweet. I love Kigali and the memories I am making here will last a lifetime. Yet, I also miss being back in America. There are certain characteristics of home which I have realized how blessed I am. These characteristics combined with my longing to be with my friends and family back home has me looking forward to May 7th. I find such a confliction because both sides are equally strong. So I plan on spending my time here with the most laughter and memories until May 7th does arrive. But I plan on leaving here with no regrets and knowing that I lived these four months to the fullest capacity.

Whitney this is so encouraging! I am so excited for you and I'm glad you are having an amazing time! The application process for me has been this same bittersweet struggle, thank you for this! It is helpful :) Keep posting stuff, I love reading about everything, it gets me excited! Love you!
ReplyDelete