Feb 28, 2011

Hello from Mkono!!!!


Eating wuju.

Making chapati!



So I have arrived safely to Mkono! It is absolutely amazing here! The Internet is slow though so I will not be able to Skype (we can test it out though!) We live in a very simple house with no running water so we take cup baths and will use an outhouse. Our cook is a horrible cook (the food is very bland) but she has the sweetest heart and I already love her so much! The staff here at the house are all very sweet and I am already getting along with them so much! Today Silvia took us to one of the schools and introduced us to each classroom! It was so wonderful being able to play and talk with the students. They are all so beautiful and sweet. They think that my white skin is very funny and just love sitting at my feet or holding my hands. It is going to be so difficult teaching them because I would much rather play with them than teach :) I will be teaching full time soon! I will also be working in the community through leading Bible studies, home visits, raising awareness about HIV, etc. A typical weekday for me will consist of waking up at 8 for breakfast, 8:30 a house Bible study, 9-5 working in the community or teaching! So I am super excited to start getting involved!!! After 5 I am free to do what I please... Today I played with some neighbor kids (Moses and Stephen) who are little afraid of me but after seeing I am not a monster decided that they like me. A lot of these kids have never seen a muzungo (white person) so they find me kind of scary... I live in a super rural village and I love it! Being away from the big city I think that I may start taking up running again. One of the workers Emmet likes to run so I think we may go running before dinner. It is election season still so the staff is extremely cautious. We are not allowed to go out at night and we always have a staff escort. The botas (motorcycles) we take are also staff people. I feel so incredibly safe here and at home! I just love it and I cannot wait to start interacting with the kids more! I have a feeling that this month is going to go extremely fast….

1 comment:

  1. Whitney that sounds so fun!!! I am so glad you are enjoying it so much! And being in a rural village sounds like an extra unique experience. I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete